ADJ網路實驗室
打印

[介紹] 說別人的衣服"俗氣難看"怎麼表達

說別人的衣服"俗氣難看"怎麼表達

李小華收到了媽媽寄來的包裹,迫不及待地把裏面的東西拿給Larry看。他們會用到兩個常用語:tacky和swallow one's pride。

LH: Larry,你看,這是我媽送你的禮物!

Larry: Interesting...Is...Is that a rug?

LH: 什麼啊?這是毛衣!多好看啊!

Larry: That's a sweater? Oh, my...

LH: 你看!我媽還在這兒別了張紙條,上面說,這是她親手給你織的。我媽真有兩下子,是不是啊,Larry?

Larry: ...Oh my.

LH: 怎麼?你不喜歡?

Larry: Umm...Look, Lihua. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but...It's just a little tacky for what I'd normally wear.

LH: Tacky?什麼意思?

Larry: Well...basically...not fashionable.

LH: 不時髦?俗氣?這毛衣怎麼俗氣了?!

Larry: Well, look at this design...there are pine trees and little people knit into it.

LH: 那怎麼了,有松樹有小人兒就俗氣?

Larry: Well, a little bit. And look at these colors...bright green and red on black? It's so tacky it almost hurts my eyes... and plus, look at the...

LH: 你還嫌顏色太鮮艷,亮得閃了你的眼?!行了行了!I don't think they're tacky at all. 我覺得一點兒都不俗!我媽親手織的,看你敢不穿!

Larry: Listen, I know you like tacky clothing, and that's fine. But I'm not wearing it.

LH: 什麼?你說我喜歡俗氣的衣服?!我哪有!

Larry: OK, for example, your pink Hello Kitty tennis shoes are quite tacky.

LH: 粉色的hello kitty網球鞋不是tacky,是可愛!可愛!

Larry: They would be cute on an 8-year old girl, not a college-aged young woman...And how about that jacket you have with all the extra zippers all over it?

LH: 哼!咱倆眼光不同,我不跟你爭了。反正我媽的這件愛心毛衣,你非穿不可。

Larry: Lihua, I don't think you understand. There is no way I'm going out in public with that thing on!

LH: 你不穿我就要生氣了!

Larry: Forget about it! (a second passes) Lihua, come on. Don't be angry. Lihua?

LH: 別理我。我正生氣呢。

Larry: (Begrudgingly, sighs) OK, fine. I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and wear the sweater.

LH: Swallow your pride?你說什麼呢?

Larry: To swallow your pride means to begrudgingly do something that you are embarrassed to do.

LH: Swallow one's pride就是忍氣吞聲,勉強去做不願做的事兒。這麼說……你是要穿這件毛衣嘍?

Larry: Yes, if it will make you happy, I will swallow my pride and wear your mother's tacky sweater.

LH: OH YEAH! Larry你真好!

Larry: Well, it's only because I know you have to swallow your pride and do many things on my behalf as well.

LH: 啊?我也為了你忍氣吞聲過?

Larry: Well, remember when my boss accidentally called you his "Japanese friend"? You just smiled and nodded, but I'm sure you wanted to correct him.

LH: 哦,想起來了。那次,你老闆的確把我當成了日本人,不過沒關係啦,美國人把中國、南韓、日本人搞混是常事。我不介意,我們中國人也常常覺得只要金頭髮藍眼睛就都是美國人!

Larry: Well, do you remember when you swallowed your pride last Halloween? I made you wear that tacky French maid costume to my friend's party!

LH: 對!那次萬聖節,你非讓我穿那件難看得要命的法國女僕裝!

Larry: Right. And I want to thank you for swallowing your pride and wearing that tacky costume.

LH: 等等!你是說這件愛心毛衣和那件女僕裝一樣俗氣難看?

Larry: Why not? I think the sweater is tacky, just like you thought the costume was tacky.

LH: 可是……我穿的那件女僕裝還特別曝露,彆扭死了!

Larry: Oh, come on. Wearing a sexy costume is normal on Halloween!

LH: 可我不喜歡穿這種衣服!穿女僕裝在你一大堆朋友前走來走去,I really had to swallow my pride! 我犧牲了多少自尊啊!

Larry: Gee, I didn't realize it was so embarrassing for you. You win, ok? I'll wear the tacky sweater. But that's all I can do.

LH: 你想得美!你看,這裡還有一個 Hello Kitty的手套,也是我媽織給你的!戴上吧!

Larry: Oh good grief. How does your mother know how to make all of this stuff?

ARTERY.cn