ADJ網路實驗室
打印

[介紹] 英語對話:如何表達"自食苦果"

英語對話:如何表達"自食苦果"

Larry準備參加馬拉松比賽,李華在幫他進行賽前訓練。他們會用到兩個常用語:on the dot和get a taste of one's own medicine。

LH: Larry,加油,就剩500米了!衝刺衝刺!

Larry: (Out of breath) How...did...I do?

LH: 成績不錯,但還是沒進15分鐘。

Larry: (Still a bit out of breath) Let me see that watch...Hey, this isn't above 15 minutes...this is 15 minutes on the dot!

LH: Dot? 點點?這個秒錶是新的,上面什麼都沒有啊!

Larry: No, no. The watch is fine. I'm talking about the time. Look...it says 15:00. Exactly fifteen minutes...Fifteen minutes on the dot.

LH: 哦,on the dot就是“正好”的意思。你是說,你剛才的成績是正好15分鐘。可是Larry,我的意思是,你還是沒有衝破15分這個關口。這樣你下個月參加比賽時,名次是不會理想的!

Larry: I know, I know... wait a minute. Next month? I thought I had way more time to prepare than that!

LH: 啊?你忘啦?距離比賽還有整整一個月,30 days on the dot!

Larry: Well, at least I'm making progress...fifteen minutes is my best time so far. I think I'm done running for today.

LH: 好吧,那今天就練到這兒吧。天兒也夠熱的,今天是35 degrees on the dot,35度呢!

Larry: Well, when you're running, it feels more like 40 degrees on the dot!

LH: 不過回家前,你還得做30個仰臥起坐。

Larry: You sure are a strict coach...how do you know so much about training?

LH: (得意地)我高中是田徑隊的,教練特嚴格,我都是跟他學的!嚴師出高徒嘛!

Larry: Oh really?? (pauses for a moment as if hatching a plan) You know, Li Hua, there's a couple's race as well on race day. I think you and I should be a team!

LH: 雙人跑?我也參加?那可不行,我整整10年沒跑步了!10 years on the dot!

Larry: Hey, you've been making me run all over this track for the past week; I think it's only fair that you got to taste of your own medicine.

LH: 什麼,taste of my own medicine? 我的藥的味道?

Larry: Actually, you've been working me so hard, but now it's time for you to go through the same ordeal that you had put me through. In other words, you're getting a taste of your own medicine.

LH: 我明白了,get a taste of my own medicine就是自食苦果。你是說,這幾天我逼你練得那麼辛苦,現在你也要讓我嘗嘗同樣的滋味。

Larry: Right! Let's start early tomorrow...be here at 7 am on the dot. I can't wait to give you a taste of your own medicine!

ARTERY.cn