ADJ網路實驗室
打印

[介紹] 簡單5式助你提高智力

簡單5式助你提高智力

Your brain needs exercise just like a muscle. If you use it often and in the right ways, you will become a more skilled thinker and increase your ability to focus. But if you never use your brain, or abuse it with harmful chemicals, your ability to think and learn will deteriorate.

大腦就像肌肉那樣需要運動。如果你經常用正確的方法動腦,你就會成為一個思維更靈活的人,而且還能提高注意力。但如果你從不動腦,或者濫用有害的化學品傷害大腦,那麼你的思考能力和學習能力就會退化。

Here are 5 simple ways anyone can squeeze a bit more productivity out of the old gray matter.

了解以下5個簡單的方法,任何人都可以從長時間不用的大腦中擠出那麼點兒創造力。

1. Minimize Television Watching

將看電視的時間減到最少

This is a hard sell. People love vegetating in front of the television, myself included more often than I’d like. The problem is watching television doesn’t use your mental capacity OR allow it to recharge. It’s like having the energy sapped out of a muscle without the health benefits of exercise.

這個需要強制執行。人們喜愛在電視機前虛度光陰,包括我自己在內,更多時候這並非我所願。問題是,看電視並不會使用腦力或者給大腦充電。這就如同沒有經過對健康有益的鍛鍊,就把肌肉中的能量消耗掉一樣。

Don’t you feel drained after a couple hours of TV? Your eyes are sore and tired from being focused on the light box for so long. You don’t even have the energy to read a book.

看了幾個小時電視之後你不感到筋疲力盡嗎?如此長時間地盯著燈箱,你的眼睛會又疼又累。你甚至沒有精力再去讀一本書了。

When you feel like relaxing, try reading a book instead. If you’re too tired, listen to some music. When you’re with your friends or family, leave the tube off and have a conversation. All of these things use your mind more than television and allow you to relax.

當你想放鬆一下時,試著去讀一本書。當你太累了時,聽聽音樂。當你跟朋友或家人在一起時,關上電視跟他們說說話。所有這些事都比看電視讓你更多地運用了大腦,並且能讓你得到放鬆。

2. Exercise

運動

I used to think that I’d learn more by not exercising and using the time to read a book instead. But I realized that time spent exercising always leads to greater learning because it improves productivity during the time afterwards. Using your body clears your head and creates a wave of energy. Afterwards, you feel invigorated and can concentrate more easily.

我過去認為,與其運動還不如用這些時間來讀本書,這樣能學到更多。但我後來意識到,花時間做運動總是讓你學得更好,因為在運動之後,它提高了我的學習效率。用你的身體來理清思路,創造大量精力吧。運動過後,你會感覺精神煥發,更容易集中精力。

3. Read Challenging Books

閱讀有挑戰性的書

Many people like to read popular suspense fiction, but generally these books aren’t mentally stimulating. If you want to improve your thinking and writing ability you should read books that make you focus. Reading a classic novel can change your view of the world and will make you think in more precise, elegant English. Don’t be afraid to look up a word if you don’t know it, and don’t be afraid of dense passages. Take your time, re-read when necessary, and you’ll soon grow accustomed to the author’s style.

許多人喜歡看暢銷的懸疑小說,但是通常這些書並不能開發智力。如果你想改善思維和寫作能力,你應該讀一讀那些讓你集中精力的書。閱讀經典小說會改變你的世界觀,會讓你用更簡潔、更優美的英語思維來思考。別擔心,遇到不認識的生詞就去查,也不要怕那些大段的文字。別著急慢慢來,必要的時候可以再讀一次,這樣你就會很快習慣作者的寫作風格的。

Once you get used to reading challenging books, I think you’ll find that you aren’t tempted to go back to page-turners. The challenge of learning new ideas is far more exciting than any tacky suspense-thriller.

一旦你習慣了閱讀具有挑戰性的書,我想你會發現自己忍不住再回去翻看那些令人愛不釋手的書。學習新思想所帶來的挑戰,比任何俗氣的懸疑驚悚片要令人興奮得多。

4. Early to Bed, Early to Rise

早睡早起

Nothing makes it harder to concentrate than sleep deprivation. You’ll be most rejuvenated if you go to bed early and don’t sleep more than 8 hours. If you stay up late and compensate by sleeping late, you’ll wake up lethargic and have trouble focusing. In my experience the early morning hours are the most tranquil and productive. Waking up early gives you more productive hours and maximizes your mental acuity all day.

沒有什麼比缺乏睡眠更難讓人集中精力的了。如果你早點兒上床並且睡眠不超過8小時,你就能最大限度地恢復活力。如果你熬夜並通過睡懶覺來彌補,那麼你起床的時候就會昏昏沉沉,很難集中精力。根據我的經驗,清晨的幾個小時是最安靜、最富有成效的。早起讓你擁有更多高效的時間,並且讓你一整天保持最強的敏銳感。

If you have the opportunity, take 10-20 minute naps when you are hit with a wave of drowsiness. Anything longer will make you lethargic, but a short nap will refresh you.

如果有機會,困意襲來的時候小睡10到20分鐘。再睡久一點就會讓你感到昏昏沉沉了,但是小睡片刻會讓你神清氣爽。

5. Take Time to Reflect

花點時間反思

Often our lives get so hectic that we become overwhelmed without even realizing it. It becomes difficult to concentrate because nagging thoughts keep interrupting. Spending some time alone in reflection gives you a chance organize your thoughts and prioritize your responsibilities. Afterwards, you’ll have a better understanding of what’s important and what isn’t. The unimportant stuff won’t bother you anymore and your mind will feel less encumbered.

通常我們的生活太繁忙了,以至於我們被壓得喘不過起來,甚至還意識不到這一點。全神貫注變得困難起來,因為總有無法擺脫的想法一直打斷你。花些時間獨自反思一下,會給你一個機會來調理思緒、按優先順序安排自己的職責。隨後,你將更好地了解到哪些事情重要、哪些不重要。不重要的事情將不會再煩擾你,你的大腦也會感覺負擔沒那麼大了。

I’m not saying you need to sit on the floor cross-legged and chant ‘ommm’. Anything that allows a bit of prolonged solitude will do. One of my personal favorites is taking a solitary walk. Someone famous said, “All the best ideas occur while walking.” I think he was on to something. Experiment to find the activity that works best for you.

我並不是在說你需要盤腿坐在地板上,嘴上不停地吟唱經文。任何能讓你稍微長時間獨處的事情都可以。就我個人而言,我最喜歡做的就是獨自散步。有個名人說過,“所有最棒的點子都是在散步時產生的。” 我認為他的觀點非常有意思。嘗試去發現對你最有效的一種活動。

來源:滬江英語

ARTERY.cn